Luminescent solar concentrators (LSCs) are envisioned to reduce the cost of solar electricity by decreasing the usage of more expensive photovoltaic (PV) materials and diminishing the complexity of multi-cell PV modules. The LSC concept can also enable unconventional solar-energy conversion devices such as PV or “solar” windows that can be especially useful in highly populated urban areas. Due to their high emission efficiencies and readily tunable emission and absorption spectra, colloidal quantum dots (QDs) have emerged as promising LSC fluorophores. The focus of this presentation is on both fundamental studies of luminescent concentration exploiting nearly ideal LSC characteristics of engineered QDs [1, 2]as well as practical, high-performance devices demonstrating commercial viability of a QD-LSC approach . Specific topics of discussion will include practical concentration limits tested using nearly perfect QD emitters with >95% quantum efficiencies , various approaches to Stokes-shift engineering [4, 5], single- and double-layer LSC architectures, as well as cost/efficiency considerations for QD-LSCs [3, 6]. The overall conclusion of the reviewed studies is that engineered QDs represent a promising materials platform for realizing inexpensive, high-efficiency sunlight collectors applicable as both semi-transparent building-integrated solar windows and stand-alone, large-area LSC-PV modules.
1. Song, H.J., B.G. Jeong, J. Lim, D.C. Lee, W.K. Bae, and V.I. Klimov, Performance Limits of Luminescent Solar Concentrators Tested with Seed/Quantum-Well Quantum Dots in a Selective-Reflector-Based Optical Cavity.Nano Letters 18, 395-404 (2018)
2. Klimov, V.I., T.A. Baker, J. Lim, K.A. Velizhanin, and H. McDaniel, Quality Factor of Luminescent Solar Concentrators and Practical Concentration Limits Attainable with Semiconductor Quantum Dots.ACS Photonics 3, 1138-1148 (2016)
3. Li, H., K. Wu, H.-J. Song, and V.I. Klimov, Doctor-blade deposition of quantum dots onto standard window glass for low-loss large-area luminescent solar concentrators.Nature Energy 1, 16157 (2016)
4. Meinardi, F., A. Colombo, K.A. Velizhanin, R. Simonutti, M. Lorenzon, L. Beverina, R. Viswanatha, V.I. Klimov, and S. Brovelli, Large-area luminescent solar concentrators based on ‘Stokes-shift-engineered’ nanocrystals in a mass-polymerized PMMA matrix.Nature Photonics 8, 392-399 (2014)
5. Meinardi, F., H. McDaniel, F. Carulli, A. Colombo, K.A. Velizhanin, N.S. Makarov, R. Simonutti, V.I. Klimov, and S. Brovelli, Highly efficient large-area colourless luminescent solar concentrators using heavy-metal-free colloidal quantum dots.Nature Nanotechnology 10, 878-885 (2015)
6. Wu, K.F., H.B. Li, and V.I. Klimov, Tandem luminescent solar concentrators based on engineered quantum dots.Nature Photonics 12, 105 (2018)